The following applies to England only. Please refrain from monitoring if you or your site(s) are in Scotland, Wales or Ireland.
If you are in England you may resume monitoring. This is at individuals own discretion and people should not feel in way obliged to start monitoring again.
If you would like to start monitoring please;
1. Check with landowners that they are ok with you undertaking the monitoring during the current pandemic
2. Ensure you take extra precautions if you are sampling downstream of a sewage treatment works, septic tank discharge or storm overflow. Covid -19 has been detected in sewage work effluent. There is research being undertaken to understand the significance of this and whether it poses a risk. Extra precautions could include wearing long rubber or other protective gloves and using alcohol hand gel or washing with soap immediately afterwards.
Observe the following additional protocols while sampling;
- Remain two metres apart
- Avoid public transport where possible
- Travel separately if meeting anyone out of your household
- Monitor with no more than one other person or members of your household
- If you are feeling unwell please follow government guidelines and self isolate
- Please wash your hands thoroughly before monitoring
- Consider wearing gloves and mask
We hope you are staying well at this time. Riverfly monitoring can be a great way to connect with nature and enhance wellbeing. If you are able to safely, we hope you enjoy monitoring again.